Sunday, January 16, 2011

Topic: "Anti-Secular Music" Should Christians Listen to Secular Music?!

A lot of people ask me "Why are you Anti-Secular Music?" Why? Not even the songs with good morals? Well, the reason why I am Anti-Secular Music is because it is in fact influential on a person's heart and soul. Would you rather your flesh or your Holy Spirit win? A battle going on that you know nothing about. I wouldn't say Secular Music is the reason why the world is what it is today but its one of the reasons why the world is what it is. We've adapted the slang, the mindset to wanna have sex before marriage, putting negativity over positivity, provoking and promoting violence, getting caught up into gossip, call females out of their names, fornicating, Idol worshipping of money, cars, clothes, women and the list goes on. Just because you don't do what the song says doesn't mean that its right for you to listen to. Would u really rather have the Devil talk all in your ear thru these Artists promoting ignorance? Even if the song has good morals, why settle for good morals when there is great morals, from the creator himself. The Bible doesn't speak on Secular music specifically but it does speak on the nonsense these Artists try to insert into our minds. Let's take away the Illuminati thing and let's say some of  these Artists don't worship the devil, what they are saying and giving to their fans alone is disrespectful to the creator. You can't tell me u can just sit an listen to a song without quoting it, getting hypnotized by the beat, and/or doing what it says, u can't tell me its not influential.

I used to be a die-hard 50 Cent fan, knew every lyric to every single one of his songs. He used to be one of my favorites of all time, he's an excellent business man and a wonderful Artist in my opinion but something clicked one day in early 2010, I just got tired of listening to it. It gave me a headache and ignorance was just written all over it. This one song called "Pearly Gates" the person he had on the song (Prodigy from Mobb Deep) referred to Jesus by saying "Now homey, if I go to hell and you make it to the pearly gates, tell the boss man we got beef, and tell his only son, Imma see him when I see him, and when I see him, Im a beat him like the movie" Pure Disrespect! The song in general is very negative on Jesus and Christianity but I wouldn't have noticed it unless someone broke it down to me or if I were to hear it now that I am in my right state of mind. Lil Wayne said "Imma have her on her knees, the same knees she be praying on" Jay-Z said "Jesus can't save you, life starts when the Church ends" Young Jeezy said "Lord knows I'm goin die, and when I get to hell, Lord knows I'm goin fry and I love it" Chris Brown did a song called "Fallen Angel" talking about how God misjudged Satan and kicked him out of heaven. Satan is the only "fallen angel". Souljah Boy calls himself the "Black Jesus" and his partner Lil B calls himself a "Base God" and disrespects Jesus on a song he did called "Look Like Jesus".  These are just clear examples of subliminal messages and how we are so quick to breeze thru a song and think its of good value when it clearly isn't. Its plenty more where that came from which gave me the mindset to be done with all of it and fully focus on Christ!

I'm not saying to hate the Artists or celebrities or whoever it is you like, but if they are promoting negativity or anything that isn't of good value, don't support it. What makes you think supporting the Artists/Celebrities will bring them to the light of Christ? Prayer does work. Think about it, they will only dish out what we are willing to buy and pay attention to. Even if its not pertaining to us specifically, think of other people of all ages when u hear these songs and see if its appropriate and appealing to them and don't just think about yourself. Most things we tell kids not to do, we shouldn't do neither if you really think about it.

If you think that you won't be judged on the music you listen to, you are mistaken. If you are a Christian, look in the scripture at what God has to say about the messaging of the music you listen to. Allow me to refer to the Bible for scripture: 1 John 2:15 (Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.") For those that say that they don't do what the song says an its ok to listen to: Romans 1:32 ("Knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.") Ephesians 5:4-6 also talks about the foolish talking and coarse jesting and how Idolatry(worship of idols or blind/excessive devotion to something) will not inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Exodus 34:14 (for you shall worship no other God, for the Lord, whose name is jealous, is a jealous God)

Does what u listen to match up to Philippians 4:8 ("whatever things are true, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are of good report") and Colossians 3:2 ("Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.)" ? At the end of the day, the best kind of music to listen and praise on is Christian music. Its an alternative to the Secular Music out there, Gospel Rock, Rap, Reggae, Praise and Worship, the list goes on. Yes, we should be cautious of what we listen to on the Gospel side also but its definitely more good than bad. I have gotten tired of the subliminal messaging, symbolism, and the disrespecting of my savior, its really sickening to me. All we can do is pray and not support the negative vibe by Secular Musicians. How can u pray for your mother to stop smoking cigarettes but yet, u continue to buy them for her? As Christians, righteousness has to be bought back to mainstream but how can that happen when we support nonsense, cut off that worldly support. Its hard because we were born into a world of negativity, deception, and Sin, but it is a way out of it thru Jesus Christ who died for our Sins.

If you have to think twice before listening to a song, if it has you doing or thinking of something you have no business doing, and/or if it contradicts what you believe, as a Christian, a follower of Christ, you shouldn't listen to it. The real question is, would u listen to something that would put Jesus back on the cross? Think about it, would u want this on your guilt when judgment day comes? Is what u WANT to listen to really more important than what you NEED to listen to? Let's stop entertaining ourselves and our flesh! AMEN!

35 comments:

  1. yo right now im not goin to lie i listen to everything hip-hop from snoop to lecrae, but its funny my mom told me this same thing and i decided not to listen my response was im a rapper to so i have to widen my library of music, and couple weeks after i got lecrae's new album rehab overdose and thats all i listened to i played it over and over again,and i think the LORD was working on me everytime i played it cuz after that i slowly stopped wanting to hear secular. But i still struggle with wut i listen to and its hard cuz i listened to it for so long but i know its God slowly getn that outta me sometimes i slip but i know he'll clean it up. Pray for ya boi -Chu out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong firm words, spoken honestly and without fear. God is truly working through you my young brother. I agree with what you are saying. He who speaks the word must also live the word in order to fully carry out what God has lain before him. Bravo and cheers. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on the money Joshua!! Right on the money! I like your way of thinking. I've been reading your tweets. There are not that many young adults out there who have the backbone God gave them. And who are brave enough to take a stand when they know they will be laughed to scorn. I have a daughter who takes a stand. People (even family) have hurt her dearly, but she stands on God's Word and goes on.
    I have always had a problem with people calling themselves Christian, but what they listen too is FAR from Christian.
    If you are going to be a Christian....you'd better go all out with it.....live exactly like the Bible says to live.
    Keep up the good work.
    Keep thinking on whatsoever is pure, holy, lovely, etc.

    I have a blog as well if you would like to follow. I too write to relieve stress. Mine is titled 'The Way I See It"......kinda like your 'Speak My Mind' It is: sassymamma.blogspot.com

    Stay strong in the LORD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you! What about old school music? Can we listen as long as it doesn't promote anything against the will of God?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post Joshua! I was wondering, how were you not hearing those lyrics before? Did the beat obscure them? I was certainly shocked that those are the lyrics in the songs.

    I delivered a computer today for an 11yo girl in the 5th grade. She has some kidsbopz songs and a keyshia cole CD on the computer. She asked me how can she download songs. So while her parent(s) are sittin there, I asked what kind of music does she want to download? She almost didn't want to say Hip Hop and then she also said R&B. (And we both know they aren't what they used to be.. and won't ever be again.) So my response was "aren't you only in the 5th grade?" So anyway, I'm goin back tomorrow to finish somethin and make sure she know how to plug her mp3 player up to the computer. I'm going to avoid the whole 'downloading' thing and recommend some internet radio places.

    I feel like Gospel is the only music worth listening to... but I do wonder.. how much do you really tell a 5th grader about the music today.. or should I just tell/show her parent?

    Again, excellent post my brother in life in Christ!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If only we would listen to Jesus everybody would be fine but we listen to what we know is wrong and are self mutilating ourselves. Music is very influential. I listen to music but I don't listen to what will influence wrong doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT JOB!
    I do still listen to secular music (mostly R&B) and some of those songs do generate alot of sinly desires (lust, pride, greed, anger). I find myself on the fence when I listen to the music sometimes because of my walk in Christ. I have minimized ALOT of my listening to secular also listening to inspirational or motivational songs that glorify hope, dreams, love, miracles is not bad but there is a higher power. I dont mind listening to this uplifting songs as of now. It is taking some time to stop listening altogether. I will say that.

    Your essay was amazing and i have some suggestions for you at this point NOW THAT YOU HAVE PUT IT OUT IN THE OPEN WITH VALID POINTS AND SOURCES:

    1.) PRAY EVERYDAY ABOUT IT

    2.) DO NOT BASH THE ARTISTS AT ALL. (CORRECT, NOT CORRUPT)

    3.) LETS MAKE SURE WE ARE NOT GLORIFYING CHRISTIAN ARTISTS AND FOCUS ON GLORIFYING CHRIST

    4.) GET YOUR MESSAGE OUT THERE NOW! CREATE A SUPPORT GROUP FOR YOUR MOVEMENT (ASK PPL TO JOIN UR MOVEMENT) AND GET THE MESSAGE OUT THERE TO THE SOURCE (THE ARTIST, THE LABEL, THE INDUSTRY INSIDERS, THE FANS...) CONTACT THESE PEOPLE.

    5.) PROMOTE THE MOVEMENT EVERYWHERE ONCE YOU HAVE A SOLID TEAM OF SUPPORTERS. SPREAD THE GOSPEL TO THE WORLD

    JOSH, YOU ARE THE PERSON GOD IS USING TO GET THE MESSAGE OUT THERE. START NOW. This essay is the foundation.

    I support you and if you need any help let me know,

    Blessings,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Point Yo; I abs. loved it! ★★★★★
    Jade B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man after reading this i feel so encouraged... I Now KNOW,I AM NOT BY MYSELF!! Josh u already know what i know about this music.The bible says keep thy heart with all dilligence for out of it springs the issues of life.Not only music but entertainment period.I agree.Also for those who are still struggling ask JESUS for mercy and grace to stop.Ask Him to take whatever is in you out of you so u won't agree with it anymore.Look at it like this if u listening to that and feeding on that then u are in agreement with the message.The more you fill up with the Truth(the bible) then u will despise what God despise.I was in the secular industry and honestly i knew it was anti-God but i wanted to please my flesh more than God.Alot of those artist have severe problems,so how can u learn or agree with their point of view.The bottom line is to ask you self why? why? Why do i like these artist? I don't even know them,but i "think i do.Why is their a pull in me to listen to this? You can be free by the power of God!! To all my secular artist..i love you and i am praying for you.I know the chains and cages u in...They my x.I am here for you!! Halla at me-Star Jones

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keisha Milton (Battle Praise)January 21, 2011 at 10:00 AM

    Josh,

    This post is awesome! You have inspired me so much Josh. I didn't even realize how much good Christian rap and hip hop was out there. I got Lecrae yesterday and it goes so hard. I was quite shocked by those lyrics from 50 cents song. I stopped listening to him after his first album. Those lyrics were so offensive to me. I don't know how anyone could NOT bs offended by them! Keep doing your thing Josh. The world needs to hear what you have to say

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is a great thing you are doing. Keep up the great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Sir, as a musician that has made a personal vow similar to Daniel's; I have purposed in my heart not to contaminate the gift that GOD has given me by partaking of the king of this worlds delicacies... I applaud this article! Your points are valid and rooted in the WORD of GOD! Because of my stance, I realize that I have somewhat limited opportunities from a natural perspective; but Spiritually I don't expect everyone to understand my devotion to GOD. Furthermore, GOD has made me and all of those who commit to HIM " ... A city set up on a hill...","... The salt of the earth...", etc. Thank you for this post, it is always exciting to me when I meet someone who "gets" it!

    Carolyn Elaine
    www.OfficiallyCarolyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dope read... All I gotta say fam is there is a load of great "Secular music" that does not arouse those desires. It also depends on your maturity rate in the faith, as well as out of the faith and in everyday life. A more mature person is able to handle more mature movies... if that was not the case they would have never started the ratings on movies. Bruh, I agree totally like I just stated but as far as "Secular music" goes its a opinionated based discussion that will lead to arguments between the body, so that's why going PUBLIC and BASHING is not presentable in the faith, or especially to a new person in the faith!
    God bless homie
    -Trey Starxx
    www.iamtreystarxx.comm

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy you finally made this blog... a lot of people need to hear this!! Keep exposing the fruitless deeds of darkness! Eph 5:11 :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great thing God is using you for.. Praise God
    continue to REP 4 CHRIST CHEA!!!!!

    www.ihatejohnnygospel.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome post bro! Amen!

    - Tiara F (@Ima_JESUSfreakk)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep bringing that good word for today's generation young man!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This article is on point, not by what your thought but the scriptures you use to improve your thought on secular music.
    Just keep up the good work!
    Keep in mind use the scripture to prove the truth, that's all you need is God Word and you will always hit the bull eye, more likely you know that-but I'm just saying.
    May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Josh this is awesome... Using the Word of GOD to as a tool a weapon against the the deceit of the enemy and the desires of our flesh! Excellent job... clear and concise! I am so heavenly proud!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Josh, this post is amazing! I didn't know about those lyrics either, yet I knew the songs. I am also getting into more "Christian" music. I heard D.A. T.R.U.T.H. the other day and it was astounding. My favorite rap artists were the neo-soul group (Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def). However, after learning that they're Five Percenters and going back and listening to their music and noticing how they're discrediting God, I couldn't do it. I can listen to secular music and not be influenced by it now. But it's the profanity, offensive, and sexually explicit content I don't enjoy. Hence I can still listen to India Arie, Jill Scott, Musiq Soulchild (although not every song), Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson, etc. If someone wants to sing about being in love, that's no different from me enjoying writing about it. I think it's a line for each person but you have to realize when things are going to far. And that comes from growing in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All I have to say is thank GOD for your boldness!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that everything in your article is the truth. I'm only 16 and I'm young in my faith, but I have stopped listening to a lot of the music I use too (not completely). I try to avoid it as much as I can and try to block it out when I'm with others who do listen to it. My pastor is the person who told me about how he doesnt listen to secular music only gospel and that inspired me because he's only 27. He was like I use to be like I dont listen to the words just the beat but eventually you do listen and you hear all this stuff that isnt positive. So I've bene trying to increase my gospel music library because I dont wanna listen to secular music anymore. I found one group who really are great check them out at http://jayandjaysoul.com/ and follow me on twitter @b_smiley.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post, You are absolutely right on this...when I became a Christian I just didn't want to listen to secular music anymore, I'm much older than you and the music I grew up to wasn't as bad as today's but just the same, when I hear an ole skool tune I just can't tolerate it. Thanks for this much needed topic Joshua!! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amen! Real talk bro,u speaking nothing but the truth.I use to listen gangsta music faithfully b/c I could relate to it & b/c thats who I was.I just got saved December 24 2009 & I was still tryna hold on too it b/c I liked it.But then I finally realized that its a contradiction to who I am.Everything that it tells me to do,God says don't.I look back at the scripture St.Matthew 6:24 where is says we can't serve to masters.So it don't make since to say your saved & serve God but still listen to music that tells you to do everything against God.We were bought with the blood shed of Jesus Christ.We can't do what we want to do any more.If we claim we are God's child or a Christian we belong to God.Nice blog bro,it has blessed me to listen to music which glorifies God.Stay encouraged & God bless you.Keep your mind stayed on God.Stay on the right path.Your not alone my brother in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much !! i'm a child of God too but i've always been attracted and addicted to secular music until recently where I'm trying to cut it out !! and I know that God's power will act upon me and in what I listen . You've supported your article very well with those biblical references =)

    Thanks again , I will DEFINITELY share it with my bros and sis in Christ and even those that do not know our Lord and Saviour

    God bless you bro !

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's teegeemontana from Twitter. Thank you for this blog. I do still listen to secular music, but not nearly as much as I used to. I may always listen to R&B, but that's something I will have to pray about. However, the majority of the rap music, the lyrics are just entirely too disrespectful...I thank you for scripture to support your points. Keep me in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. annointedtowin/MarthaJanuary 29, 2011 at 1:48 PM

    MY BROTHA I USED TO LISTEN TO ALL TYPES OF MUSIC INCLUDING OLD SKOOL, R&B, JAZZ, AND ETC. THE HOLY SPIRIT CONVICTED ME ABOUT A MONTH AND HALF AGO THAT I COULD NOT LISTEN TO THIS TYPE OF MUSIC ANYMORE. IT IS TALKING ABOUT FORNICATION, MONEY, CARS, AND CHEATING IN RELATIONSHIPS. THE HOLY SPIRIT CONVICTED ME AND SAID THAT YOU ARE EITHER FOR ME OR AGAINST ME.YOU CANNOT LISTEN TO WORDLY MUSIC AND EXPECT TO LIVE GODLY. ALOT OF CHRISTIANS ARE NOT ON THAT LEVEL N THEIR SPIRITUAL WALK TO UNDERSTAND HOW IMPORTANT IT IS THAT WHAT GOES N UR EARS AND HEART S SOO IMPORTANT ESPECIALLY MUSIC. YOU CANNOT....CANNOT SERVE TWO MASTERS EITHER JESUS OR THE DEVIL THAT AINT NO TWO WAYS ABOUT IT JESUS OR THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE BENN MEANING TO COMMENT ON THIS BUT I HAVE BEEN SO BUSY WITH MY JOB AND I WORK ALOT OF 12 HOUR SHIFTS. I WAS LOOKING AT THE TL AND I SAID I AM GOING TO RESPOND TO YOUR BLOG. MAY GOD CONTINUE TO USE YOU FOR HIS GLOORRAAYYY AND KEEP BEING A BRIIIGHT LIGHT TO THIS DARK WORLD.

    ReplyDelete
  28. AMEN!! AMEN!! AND AMEN!! I agree with you Josh whole heartily, when I first came back to the Lord the first thing I did was threw away all of my secular c.d's secular music did nothing for but keep me reminiscing on the PAST & I refused to keep grieving the "HOLY SPIRIT" & feeding my flesh with secular music. I like how you backed up it with scripture. Pleasing God is MANDATORY!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job Josh!! I enjoyed reading your commentary regarding secular music. I quote what I've heard another man of God who is burdened with this message: You summon what you serenade! If you sing it, it is coming to you. And we must keep in mind that as the Lord inhabits the praises of His people, the adversary (mimicking God) also inhabits the praises of his own. Music has potential to be very spiritual!!@Dmariamac

    ReplyDelete
  30. Enjoyed reading this! You said to be cautious of what we listen to in the Gospel... so can you recommend any music?

    ReplyDelete
  31. I LOVE this! My mom has always raised me to have this belief, and I chose to stick with it based on all these scriptures you talked about here. Recently, I went to a korean church with my friend, and the youth pastor asked what percentage we listen to secular and christian. I was the only one to raise my hand for 100% christian, and everyone gasped like it was something unexpected of a christian. After the service some of them even poked a lil fun at me, including the pastor who said that he listens to 80% christian and 20% secular. His message was to say that all secular music isn't bad, but we do need more christian music in our lives. I totally disagreed, because after all Christ has done for us, why not give him 100%? Even the smallest % of worldliness you allow in your life can affect you greatly. A lot of Christians tend to judge me for my choice, but I know it's the best thing, and I LOVE my christian music :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amen, i agree 100%. Don't "support".....what you don't support. A very simple concept.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete